New Terminal Construction: Proposed PFC Amendments
Notice of Intent to Amend and Use a Passenger Facility Charge
The County of San Luis Obispo Department of Airports intends to file an application with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to amend and use Passenger Facility Charges (PFC) 2000-06-U / 1997-04-I / 2007-08-C for a project at the San Luis Obispo County Airport – McChesney Field.
1. Notification was sent to Air Carriers on April 11th, 2016.
2. The Airline Consultation Meeting was held at 10:00am on May 12, 2016.
PFC Amendment Proposal Presentation
PFC Amendment Proposal
2000-06-U / 1997-04-I
$6,820,830 Original Application
$1,000,000 Proposed Increase
$7,820,830 Amended Application, Proposed
2/1/2019 Legal Charge Date Expiration
3 Years Proposed Extension
2/1/2022 Amended Application, Proposed
3. Public Notice / Comment Period will be from May 13th – June 30th, 2016. Please submit all comments to email@example.com.
4. PFC Amendment submitted to FAA: July 15th, 2016, tentative
5. FAA Amendment Reviews – 30 days
6. FAA Final Decision / Approval: August 15th, tentative.
7. Notification to Air Carriers – 30 days
Summary Project Description
This project will replace the existing terminal with a new building in location that eliminates non-standard conditions at the Airport. The current terminal complex encroaches on the airfield and results in non-standard runway to taxi way separation. This new Facility will eliminate the encroachment and will be constructed adjacent to air carrier apron constructed under a prior project to accommodate a new terminal building.
Key benefits to the project include:
1. Elimination of non-standard conditions at the Airport.
2. Replacement of an antiquated 44-year old building.
3. Replacement of an undersized building – 12,500ft2. For over 250,000 annual passengers-current standards would provide a facility multiple times larger.
4. Accommodate airline equipment change from prop-driven Brasilia’s to Regional Jets without encroachment on airfield safety areas.
Project elements include:
1. Single level building approximately 50,000ft2 in size.
2. All needed aviation specialty equipment, such as bag systems, flight information displays, security access equipment, passenger boarding bridges, etc.
3. Select airside pavement and fencing to tie into existing aircraft apron previously constructed to accommodate a new terminal.
4. Select auto parking improvements to accommodate rental cars adjacent to building and pavement of an existing gravel public parking lot.
5. Miscellaneous improvements to integrate the building into the existing site.
Project approvals and status:
1. San Luis Obispo County Board of Supervisors (BOS) has approved the design, funding, and a budget of $35,422,008 for the new terminal project.
2. Construction of the New Terminal project is currently under way, with ground-breaking occurring on October 10th, 2015.
|New Terminal Project Budget|
|Existing FAA Grant Funding||$||22,399,403|
|Pending FAA Grant Funding||$||2,348,852|
|Budgeted FAA Grant Funding||$||24,748,255|
|Budgeted PFC Funding||$||4,394,171|
|Budgeted CFC Funding||$||339,802|
|Budgeted Local Funding||$||5,939,780|
|New Terminal Project Budget||$||35,422,008|
PFC Amendment Calculation
|New Terminal Project Budget||$||4,394,171|
|Total PFC Funds Needed||$||4,434,630|
|PFC Funds Available @ 9/30/16||$||3,471,269|
|PFC Amendment, Proposed||$||963,361|
|PFC Amendment Proposed, Rounded||$||1,000,000|